Saturday, May 23, 2015

Army Nurse


Day 222: The first of my hardy fuchsias to bloom (admittedly with a head-start from the nursery), "Army Nurse" is putting on a spectacular show. Hummingbirds love these flowers, so I've planted four varieties to date: Army Nurse, Genii, Dollar Princess and Erecta, all but the latter bearing flowers in the red/purple range. Erecta is pink and white. Genii is a small-flowered variety, the one most often seen in gardens. In fact, it was only two years ago that I discovered there were hardy (perennial) fuchsias with blossoms as large as the annual varieties. Most will withstand winter temperatures to 10° or lower without mulching, so why would anyone fuss with annuals when durable perennials are available? I wish I had room for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment