Friday, May 29, 2015

Braggin' Up The Grandkids



Day 228: You know how it goes...every grandmother you know carries a pocketful of the latest photos of the grandkids around, showing them to friends and other relatives, anxious to share stories and recount antics. I'm no different. I just don't have the kind of "grandkids" you're used to hearing about. Mine eat bugs. Oh, your human grandchildren do too? Then we have more in common than I thought.

Anyway, I spent a delightful day visiting my Sundew fosterlings by kayak, checking on their health and well-being, happy to find that most of them were very well-fed. The batch on Sundew Island were a little wan from lack of direct sunlight, but Jack's lot are absolutely vibrant. The individual colonies are very dense and appear to be spreading along the logs despite having to compete with moss, grass and the occasional Pseudacorus. Many of the traps held large insects or multiple smaller ones, everything from big flies and spiders to tiny gnats and mosquitoes. I did not observe any flower stalks or blossoms, but new disks were abundant.

It's nice to have a happy, healthy family. I just wish they lived a little closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment