Friday, May 8, 2015

Glorious Sundews!



Day 207: If I had checked my personal phenology records before I left home, I might not have been so surprised when I reached Jack's Log on Lake St. Clair and saw that it was carpeted in red. I'd thought I was too early to find my little carnivorous friends. Needless to say, the tenor of my kayaking adventure for the day changed in that moment, and I spent the next five hours checking their customary haunts. I am happy to report that the colonies on Sundew Island are doing quite well despite the fact that their raft got relocated into a rather shady location by accident or purpose. Jack's lot are flourishing, and at least to my eye appear to be thicker than last year. They have certainly had a varied diet. In addition to their usual fare of mosquitoes and the occasional fly, I noted one spider which had strayed too close.

No comments:

Post a Comment