Thursday, June 25, 2015

Out With The Scouts - Pacific Chorus Frog



Day 255: Of all the things I do in the Park, one of the most rewarding and enjoyable is working with youth groups such as Scouts. Today I had the privilege of doing just that: explaining to them the difference between art photography and field-guide photography and then going on a patrol of the Longmire Stewardship Campground to practice. I had some specifics in mind, hoping to infect them with my enthusiasm for rare plants, and indeed that goal was achieved. However, their own finds were the most memorable and exciting: Red-legged and Pacific Chorus Frogs, and a colony of Cone Plants (Hemitomes congestum) numbering at least a dozen in a two-foot diameter circle.

Upon hearing one of the girls shout, "Crow! I found something weird!" I abandoned photographing our little friend here and went to check. I found the troop gathered around the plants, some already on hands and knees taking pictures with cell phones and iPads. As soon as their discovery registered, I let loose a whoop of delight and complimented them on being keen observers. Then I emphasized the rarity of the species and, having already introduced the subject of mycoheterotrophy, listened as they discussed among themselves the specialized conditions required for the plant to grow. It never fails to amaze me when ten-year olds grasp a concept many adults find daunting. As we walked back to their camp, several of the girls regaled me with questions.

At their campsite, I reviewed all the photos they had taken. Some were blurry or badly exposed, some were what you might expect from a ten-year old photographer. However, in each and every camera was at least one good quality photo (and sometimes many) of one particular subject: the Cone Plants. Seven young scientists walked away from this event with solid documentation of a rarity. You can bet they'll remember this camping trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment