Monday, June 15, 2015

Sundews In Flower


Day 245: I had wondered if I'd missed the Sundews' blooming period by getting a late start on the kayaking season this spring, but I saw no evidence of flower stalks during my outings. Today, I found them largely in bud. However, a patrol of all their known hideouts turned up a couple which were fully open.

It's no easy task to take good photographs from a kayak rolling on the water. It's even harder to get a shot using a macro filter which requires you to be within a foot or so of your subject, as I was when capturing these images. At one point, I penned myself in after a log I had nudged out of the way closed off my exit route and locked the gate by becoming stuck on a submerged staub. Needless to say, maintaining a good center of gravity is always necessary when kayaking, but even moreso when you have one leg over the paddle, the paddle blade hooked over a log, and you have one hand on the log for stability and the other is crossed over your body, attempting to hold and trigger the camera. I'm sure you never thought of the occupation in this light, but I'm convinced naturalists should be on hazard pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment