Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Jack's Lot


Day 289: Warm weather saw me out and about in a boat again today, kayaking around Lake St. Clair and checking on my little Sundews in three locations. Jack's lot are by far the most abundant and healthy, and Jack (the homeowner whose floating logs they inhabit) is now quite aware of how special they are. He was home today, the first time I've seen him in a year, and he happily informed me that the local newspaper ran an article about the species some time last fall, although it only mentioned that they occur in Alaska. So much the better! I don't want word getting out, because unscrupulous collectors would make short work of these delicate carnivorous plants.

Seeing that I was having trouble getting into position to take photos of the flowers, Jack assisted me onto his dock for better stability. From that vantage point, I was able to get in closer with my Hoya macro filters to capture the "dew" which gives Drosera its common name. I was surprised to see that many were still in flower; most were forming seed pods, an encouraging sight. I'm happy to know that Jack has taken the stewardship of my little friends to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment