Friday, July 24, 2015

Penny Perspectives - Foamflower


Day 284: One of my colleagues recently tossed me an interesting question: What is the tiniest wildflower in Mount Rainier National Park? Well, I had to admit that I didn't know, and subsequent research in field guides hasn't provided me with the answer, but I do have a list of candidates. One of them is Foamflower (Tiarella trifoliata). An individual blossom from this species wouldn't quite cover the date/mint beneath President Lincoln's chin, as demonstrated in this Penny Perspective. When found growing in masses in moist areas of the lower forest, the derivation of the common name becomes clear; when viewed in close-up, the flowers are among the most delicate, long stamens projecting well beyong the petals. Tiniest? Perhaps not, but Foamflower's "faerie skirts" are certainly comely figures, dancing on the slightest breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment