Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sunflower Explosion



Day 286: There has been another Bambi-attack in my garden. Spike got one of the horse chestnut trees. I can only blame myself. I didn't surround all of them with wire, although I did take measures to protect the ones in the front yard. The savaged one may pull through; it had established a good root system, but as of this writing, there's not a leaf on it.

First to go were the raspberries, and I understand that Spike is looking for better forage than the brittle dry grass and withering leaves on non-cultivated plants. I can't blame him. The dry weather is hard on wildlife. That said, if I'd had clear foresight, I would have hung a string of cat-food cans as a "deer-scarer" as I've done in the past. All things considered, I'm surprised my nibbling nemesis ignored the sunflowers. This one now towers a foot above my head and is just beginning to open. With any luck, several more will mature to provide natural snacks for the birds. After all, they planted them. They should reap the harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment