Tuesday, August 25, 2015

183 Acres, Moving East And Up


Day 316: The Alder Lake Fire is now at 183 acres and spreading to the east and up the slopes of Stahl Mtn., a 3716' peak to the southwest of the town of Elbe. Christian, the young firefighter who has been my point of contact for the last several days, says that they have been given the go-ahead to put in a helipad in anticipation of air support. Poring over our mutual map collection, we determined that the spur roads on my ancient "Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest" recreational map (now Gifford Pinchot National Forest) and 7.5' USGS topo were in fact on his topo after all, hidden under the hand-drawn felt-tip lines showing where the fire crew has punched in a line with bulldozers. The fire is presently being held at that line, and at the 74 Road on the bottom, although it is only a few hundred feet from second-growth timber on the west end. "Our guys are watching it very closely to keep it from breaching the road," he told me. Half an hour earlier, I'd watched a rollout in a gully which came dangerously close to that point.

Of more concern is the fact that it's sweeping up-slope toward Stahl. A new column of smoke on the east end (obscured by lower smoke in this photo) seemed quite active. The columns indicate where there is a consolidation of fuel; in fact, the fire is creeping along the ground beneath the canopy and only sends up a "smoke-signal" when it hits a concentration. While talking with Christian and his crewman, I had an ear to radio conversations. "Fire behaviour is increasing in the upper east corner. We're going to have to pull our guys out of there pretty quick." In the background, the growl of bulldozers and crack of falling snags echoed across the placid lake. A spotter plane flew close along the eastern margin of the blaze, circled around for a second pass.

I asked Christian, "Aren't you about due to go back on the line?" He told me he'd be down for a few more days. "They like what I'm doing here, and I like teaching people, but yeah, I'll be going back up pretty soon." I fought down a mothering instinct I didn't know I had and stopped short of hugging him. "Good luck," I said. "Good luck."

No comments:

Post a Comment