Monday, August 17, 2015

Grass-of-Parnassus, Parnassia Fimbriata


Day 308: Strikingly beautiful and lace-like when observed closely, Grass-of-Parnassus is not a grass at all, but a member of the Saxifrage family. It was first described by Dioscorides, a Greek botanist, as found growing on the slopes of Mt. Parnassus but how its kidney-shaped leaves could have been called "grasslike" is a mystery we may never solve. It is a plant of springs and seeps, preferring to have its roots cool and damp. Thus, its specialized growing requirements limit its range. When it flourishes, it may line a streambank profusely, but only in a narrow band along the margins of the flow.

The species may be found in Mount Rainier National Park if you know where to look. A friend recently reported it to me along the 4th Crossing Trail, so today I set out to find it. My uniform and the camera around my neck often draw questions from visitors, so much of my afternoon was spent in interpretive discussion of Parnassia and other less common plant species in the Park. About two dozen people now know more about Grass-of-Parnassus than they did when they left home this morning. I love my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment