Tuesday, August 11, 2015

How Doth The Little Busy Bee


Day 302: I was too close for someone who is seriously allergic to their stings, but the Honey Bees had more important things on their minds than an interloper with a camera. Nevertheless, I get a little nervous when I step out on the back porch and these critters are working the sedum over. Still, with the Honey Bee population in decline, it makes me glad to see them in numbers and at their industry.

Years ago, my next-door neighbor had a hive in one of his exterior house walls. If you stood at a safe distance, you could see hundreds of them flying in and out, entering through a narrow gap between the boards under the eaves. He advised me to stay clear: "They get mad sometimes when I mow." I don't know that he ever destroyed the hive, so it's possible that my abundant population of bees comes from his house. In any event, if he ever tears that wall down, I want to be around for the honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment