Thursday, September 24, 2015

Hot Chicks!



Day 346: Finally! Today was my last shift at the Washington State Fair, and I was beginning to wonder whether I'd see any chickens. A fair without chickens? Unthinkable! Oh, there'd been a few in the 4-H barn, just your standard, ordinary hens with none of the specialty breeds represented. The "poultry" barn was full of rabbits and pigeons. Rabbits? When did rabbits become poultry? But today, the poultry barn lived up to its reputation, although not nearly as lavishly as in years gone by. There were less than a dozen of the Polish mop-tops I call "Tina Turner chickens," and not even that of Silkies. Still, chickens is chickens, as they say, and no sense counting them until they're hatched, and I was happy to find enough hot chicks willing to hold still for portraits to make my day at the Fair complete. This lovely lady seemed to be saying, "I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille," while the rest of the hen party looked on, envious of her fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment