Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Kevin's Artichoke



Day 323: First of all, let me wish my readers a glad, good September Morn! It's almost over as I write this, but the sentiment remains valid. September Morn, for those of you who don't know, is a personal holiday second only to Christmas on my calendar. I normally try to observe it by taking a cleansing ceremonial swim in a frigid alpine tarn, but today I spent it instead helping my good friend and supervisor Kevin and his family move into their new house. I only just got home after a long day of shifting boxes which, if not in keeping with my traditional celebration, was nevertheless a good way to honour the day.

As Kevin proudly showed me around property rich with beneficial native plants and pockets of landscaping, we made several discoveries, notably a grapevine lush with sweet seedless green fruits with a pink blush to their skins at the top of three terraces of raised garden beds. On the lowest level, several artichokes had withered on their stems, leaving only one enormous "thistle" head so radiantly purple that the colour did not look natural. This image has not been retouched or processed. Isn't that a beauty?

No comments:

Post a Comment