Tuesday, September 29, 2015

See Attached



Day 351: We have come to the end of the fiscal year at Mount Rainier National Park which means that all the paperwork for volunteers which should have been turned in earlier in the summer now lands on my desk with the resounding thud of its weight. My desk was piled high when I arrived this morning, interoffice envelopes stuffed to bursting, reams restrained by binder clips, loose jumbles spilling everywhere, requiring ten minutes of organization before I could take the laptop out of its case. Among the stacks was a dingy blue recycled report folder, and I could see that it contained at least a few dozen volunteer agreements. In order to credit volunteers with their hours, they first have to be entered into the database. In other words, their initial record must be created from their volunteer agreement before the computer will accept their time. Volunteer Agreements are my first priority on any given day.

I'd already sorted several piles by the time I reached the blue folder and was talking to Kevin as I opened it, my eyes on something else in the room. When my glance fell on the pile, it took some measure of control to stifle a shriek down to a strangled, gasping curse. On the top of the assembled paperwork was a spider, long dead and dry, but a spider nonetheless.

It was Kevin who pointed out its location on the form, appropriately beside the words, "See attached." "You should get a picture of that," he said, and so I did.

All things considered (and trust me, I am considering them carefully), if I find out that our intern had anything to do with this, his days are numbered. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment