Monday, October 26, 2015

Fungal Fun From Flatland


Day 13: Whenever I'm in a new area or one I only frequent on occasion, I try to find time to wander along a nature trail or somewhere else I'm likely to run across strange new lichens or fungi. Today, I happened to be in the Tumwater area visiting friends, and scored big-time! Tomorrow's post will feature a new Cladonia (lichen) for my Life List; today's shows a colony of Calocera fungus fingers. Without examining the spores under a microscope, I cannot be 100% certain of the species, but my "best guess" would be Calocera cornea. This specimen was growing on a section of decaying maple. Another colony had sprouted on the cut end. Never mind the rain! It's always a good day when I find a new species, even better when I find two!

No comments:

Post a Comment