Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Must Be Tasty



Day 358: I went out for a walk close to home today, and as is my usual wont, whenever I spotted a Woolly Bear caterpillar on the road trying to make its way to safety, I gave it an assist. A lot had already fallen to that most mindless predator, the automobile, and it made me sad to walk past their dessicated remains. However, there were still enough live specimens to ensure the continuation of the species into next year. Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen the adult moth, or have not recognized it if I did.

What do Woolly Bears eat? According to my references, they'll sample just about any forb (herbaceous plant). This team of three were enjoying a Crepis (hawksbeard) of some sort, dining only inches from the edge of the pavement. Hunkered down and not clearly visible to drivers, I could sympathize with their plight as cars passed uncomfortably close, but I left them to dine in leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment