Sunday, December 20, 2015

And The Stockings Were Hung



Day 68: Since November 30, I have turned out ten pair of socks in women's sizes 6-9. I don't recall an occasion when I have worked as steadfastly at the needles over such a prolonged period. Even though both friends who placed their orders told me that I didn't need to rush, I felt compelled to get the job done quickly so that they would have them in time for Christmas gift-giving. There were a couple of days when I turned out less than a whole sock, but others when by bedtime, I had completed a sock and a half.

I credit my swiftness to knitting in the European style ("picking" as opposed to "throwing"). In picking, the yarn is held in the left hand. The right hand stays almost stationary and the yarn is brought forward to purl by a simple movement of the left index finger. It makes ribbing a breeze! Interestingly enough, I was taught by my paternal grandmother to pick, although I learned most of my other needle skills from my mother's mother. She insisted that I throw, so until I was on my own in the world, I abandoned picking and struggled with the tedium of throwing the yarn with each stitch. Once I reverted to the European style, knitting became a much more enjoyable task. Socks remain one of my favourite projects, but maybe I'll take my time with the next pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment