Saturday, January 23, 2016

Looking At Lichens


Day 102: Our friend Mr. Thoreau would have been delighted with the literal windfall of lichen species I discovered in Longmire Campground a few days ago, among them this magnificent specimen of Fringed Kidney Lichen. Its apothecia (fruiting bodies), well-developed in this photo, give it its common name. Scientifically, it is Nephroma helveticum, a designation which sounds like it should apply to a font rather than the forest. As I've been making surveys of the areas hardest hit by our winter storms, checking the branches and boughs brought down by gusty winds, I've been rewarded with several additions to my Life List. This Nephroma qualifies as one of my better finds. I don't get much distance out of my "storm patrols," but like Mr. Thoreau, I do enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment