Friday, February 26, 2016

Secret Falls



Day 136: I thought I'd give my readership a break from lichens for today, although lichenizing was what carried me to this spot. I call this little cascade "Secret Falls" because once the brush grows up, you really have to know where to take a 50-foot detour from the road in order to find it. It's tucked away in a concealed niche just off the Park's Westside Road, and anyone driving by would miss it. Even if you are on foot, the whisper of its passage down the mossy slope is almost lost under the rushing tumult of nearby Tahoma Creek until you are standing close enough to feel its spray. Little sun penetrates here, only a ray or two at the height of the day, casting ephemeral rainbows where surely the wee folk come to bathe. It has no name on any map; it's far too small to be accorded any official dignity, but I for one am glad to have been invited into its confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment