Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Cladonia Fimbriata, Trumpet Lichen


Day 168: First off, let me say that my identification of this species as Cladonia fimbriata is tentative and based solely on field characteristics. The Cladonias can be rather tricky, and when most show no reaction to the common C and K chemical tests, they cannot be differentiated in the kitchen laboratory. Narrow trumpets, powdery soredia, lack of podetial squamules and even cup margins would seem to classify it as fimbriata, but without anything to confirm my suspicions, I will not be adding this image to my photographic lichen database. That said, my three-mile lichen walk today yielded up two more instances of Pilophorus clavatus and one undeniable Mycoblastus sanguinareus, and therefore it qualifies as a successful excursion.

No comments:

Post a Comment