Friday, March 18, 2016

Don't Bug Me, I'm Bee-zy!


Day 157: The Coltsfoot (Petasites palmatus) is coming into bloom, drawing all sorts of winged insects to its flowers. Don't ask me why. I find the scent rather off-putting, but the bugs love it. I counted two butterfly species, at least half a dozen different wasps, assorted flies and midges, a single Cranefly, mosquitoes and this beautiful bumblebee which was dusted all over with grains of pollen. An industrious worker, the bee remained on the umbel while I took pictures and then continued to pose for a woman with a cell phone camera even when she moved up close. Insects weren't the only things out and about. I discovered a tick walking on her dog's nose, and our attention shifted from Bumble as we combined forces to effect removal.

No comments:

Post a Comment