Sunday, March 20, 2016

Enchoria Lacteata On Coltsfoot


Day 159: It always pleases me when one of my photos is added to BugGuide.net's database. Over fifty of them have been used so far. Many times, I have been unable to identify "bug du jour," but their entomologists nearly always come through for me. In the case of Enchoria lacteata, I have been trying to capture it photographically for several years, only to have my targets fly away, disturbed by my presence.

Enchoria lacteata does not have a common name. It is a Geometrid moth, with a wingspan of approximately 3/4". The species has a particular fondness for Petasites palmatus (Coltsfoot), which was blooming when I took a walk on the Bud Blancher Trail a few days ago. As a matter of fact, this fine specimen was sharing the same umbel as the Bumblebee I posted recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment