Saturday, April 9, 2016

Pack Forest Calypso


Day 179: After digging a 3' x 6' x 2' hole in my yard into which I inserted two enormous pots destined to hold tomato plants, you'd have thought I'd be too tired to do much else. The previous night when I'd gone to bed, I'd been thinking about devoting the day to Mourning Cloak hunting along "Butterfly Alley" in Pack Forest, but upon arising, gardening seemed the better option. Two hours later, hole dug and pots planted, I remembered I hadn't put out the mail. En route to the mailbox, a Comma (Green or Satyr, I couldn't tell) flew through my field of vision, begging me to follow. I took the hint, returned to the house and packed up for a five-mile walk even while questioning the prudence of the plan.

Pack Forest was busier than I've ever seen it, and everyone seemed to be headed for the Falls Trail, trying to escape the too-warm temperatures. Not me. Butterfly Alley is on the north portion of the 1000 Road. The 1000 intersects with the 2000 at Kirkland Pass, and the southern 1000 returns to the parking area. The two roads can be combined as a figure-8 loop hike, or the 1000 can be done as a loop all by itself. I figured if I was going up Butterfly Alley, I'd just continue over the top and back out the other way. I had great confidence in finding photo-worthy butterflies, but as it turned out, I saw only a couple of Cabbage Whites and a few small, nondescript moths of the sort which enjoy Coltsfoot flowers.

A botanist friend had written to me the day before to say that she had found Calypso Orchids at the site of the old Sunshine Point Campground at Mount Rainier. I have been monitoring the Longmire site, and knew that leaves were only just beginning to show. However, Pack Forest has a few Calypsos; in fact, one patch is only about half a mile beyond Kirkland Pass on the 2000 Rd. With the camera empty of butterflies, I decided to go Calypso hunting instead. Success lies in being able to change your plan on a moment's notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment