Thursday, April 28, 2016

Sphyrapicus Ruber, Red-Breasted Sapsucker


Day 198: Until recently, I hadn't paid much attention to how many different bird species were coming to my feeders and yard. Today added two more: Red-Breasted Sapsuckers (a pair) and the first English Sparrow I've seen locally. The Sapsuckers are seasonal, and for all that I love them dearly, I wish they would stop pecking at the Mountain Ash and red Dogwood trees. I've wrapped the trunks loosely in chicken wire, but Sapsucker is not to be foiled so easily. They simply move up the tree, or sometimes even work their way in under the wire. Interestingly enough, studies have shown that in particular, Rufous Hummingbirds take advantage of the sap oozing from Sapsuckers' drill-holes as a source of food. Although I have not personally witnessed this, it may be that I've missed the behaviour. I'll have to pay closer attention to the hummers.

No comments:

Post a Comment