Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Pair O' Parrots


Day 218: I've spent several hours sitting out on my back step, hoping to capture Brewer's Blackbird through my lens. Brewer's was a Life List sighting for me when they first appeared at the feeder a few days ago, one male and one female. Standing at my window, I remarked on the yellow eye, but as soon as I moved, he was off like a shot. A few hours later, the male returned and fed on the ground, again flying off at my slightest movement. I took up a vigil on the porch, but although other birds flocked to the food, Brewer's never came within range. Purple Finches, Towhees, Cowbirds, Black-Headed Grosbeaks and assorted sparrows visited by the dozens, giving me plenty of photo opportunities, but for today, a "pair o' parrots" (Evening Grosbeaks) stole my heart. Crows and Ravens notwithstanding, Porch Parrots are my favourite people.

No comments:

Post a Comment