Monday, May 23, 2016

Sarracenia


Day 223: Don't let her modesty fool you. Madame Sarracenia is dangerous...if you're a bug. Even the flowers of this Pitcher Plant can trap and digest the insects which venture inside the central dome-like structure hidden behind that coy veil of petals. Sarracenia rubra is a carnivore, one of two species I keep under cultivation in saucers of water on my back porch. Both are hardy in the Pacific Northwest, although when nights dip into the low 20s, I bring them indoors. This year, Madame Sarracenia has sent up four blossoms for me, each rising 14-18" above the rim of her pot. Only one is fully open at this time (it's tangerine-sized) and I suspect it will have faded by the time the last one opens. Hopefully, we'll have two at once at some point in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment