Wednesday, June 15, 2016

She Of The Six Flowers



Day 246: This bit of botanical news comes from the home front: Sarracenia surprised me by putting up a total of SIX flowers this year! In 2015, two went to maturity and a third failed to develop, so I expected three at most. The winter cold nipped most of her pitchers when a 22-degree night caught me left-footed. I move her to an indoor "cold-room" (the old furnace closet) when temps are forecast to go below 24. As exotic as she appears, this species and indeed several other members of the genus are hardy in the Pacific Northwest climate. The loss of the majority of her traps didn't slow her up, though. More have sprouted to replace those which were damaged by frost, to the extent that I may have to divide the plant after she's done flowering. She's getting too big for her pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment