Thursday, July 7, 2016

Campanula Scouleri, Scouler's Harebell


Day 268: Although Campanula scouleri isn't particularly rare, it is somewhat ephemeral and therefore difficult to find in good condition. My botany partners in Team Biota reported it blooming at a location in Mount Rainier National Park last year, an isolated specimen. Two days after they saw it, I made a trip to the site, but its flowers had already dropped. This year, we organized a mission, and every week, at least one team member visited the site in the hopes of finding it. Joe and Sharon spotted it on Tuesday, not quite open. Wednesday's warm temperatures seemed encouraging, so Joe took today off and I arranged to go to work a couple of hours late. The hunt for Scouler's Harebell was on!

Getting stuck in a construction zone confused our plans to meet at a pre-arranged site and, not knowing whether Joe and Sharon had gotten ahead of me when I got stuck behind the flagger or whether they were somewhere far behind, I went on to the site alone. Only minutes after I found the plant, they pulled in, and Sharon called out as they were walking up, "Did you find it?" I replied, "Why do you think I'm plastered to this rock wall?" We took turns photographing our prey and searching crevices for any sign of more. We think we may have found some just beyond the cotyledon stage, but will have to go back next week to check.

No comments:

Post a Comment