Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Roving Out Of Paradise


Click to enlarge
Day 288: I don't do a lot of meadow-roving, and by that I mean working per the position description of "Meadow Rover," a title which refers to those diligent, patient souls who stay within a mile or so of major parking areas, walking the same trails regularly, repeatedly asking visitors to stay on trail and off the wildflowers. Only a few times each year and generally in conjunction with another event, I manage to get in a little time as an official Rover. Today was one of those days.

The Park was hosting a naturalization ceremony at Paradise, so I went up early with the intention of roving the Moraine Trail, going up to Panorama Point, and returning via Alta Vista. It wasn't long before I realized I was going to have to abbreviate my plan based on the number of visitor contacts I'd had in the first half mile, so instead of turning off to the Moraine Trail, I kept heading up. I made it to the base of Pan Point just at turn-around time, something just over a mile from Paradise parking lot. Still, it was a pleasant hike and a gorgeous morning, mosquitoes notwithstanding. The marmots were out by the dozen even though the wildflowers weren't putting on much of a show.

Once I was back at Paradise, it was my pleasure to observe and take photos as 14 new citizens were welcomed to the United States. What better place could there possibly be to celebrate such an occasion than in a National Park?

No comments:

Post a Comment