Monday, August 15, 2016

Huernia Zebrina, Lifesaver Plant



Day 307: Earlier this year, I ordered a "Lifesaver Plant" from one of my favourite suppliers. It arrived with several of the smaller branches broken off and loose in the packing, so when I repotted the parent plant, I tucked them into a second pot and have been pleased to see that they all took root readily and began growing. However, I wondered whether or not I'd ever be able to bring this unusual succulent into bloom, and just a few days ago, noticed a single small bud emerging from the parent plant. I expected it to develop slowly, so was caught completely by surprise today when I rotated the pot and found myself being stared down by a huge red eye. At least two more buds are developing on other branches.

According to the information provided by the supplier, Huernia zebrina is easy to grow. I've heard those words too many times to trust them, but in this case, I have to say they proved true. Like most succulents and cacti, Lifesaver enjoys dryness between watering and full sun. Mine sits in the south exposure of my kitchen window where it gets absolutely baked on 85-90° days. Obviously, it's quite happy in that environment! Its blooming cycle is intermittent, and the "lifesaver" in the center of the flower is as large as a nickel; the points surrounding the center extend beyond the rim of an American quarter. The spines on the foliage are soft to the touch, not at all prickly. What a rewarding plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment