Thursday, September 22, 2016

Goats And Sheep



Day 345: For all of how much I've disparaged the Washington State Fair this year, I received a pleasant surprise today when I went in for my last shift. The sheep and goats were in, and sheep had been moved from a small barn into the new, much larger Agriplex, and almost every pen was filled. The only disappointment was in not finding any Romneys, one of the breeds I used to raise. Goats no longer had to share space with sheep and likewise were well-represented, occupying the whole of the barn they formerly shared. One nanny tried to eat my camera as I was taking photos of her pen-mates, and one ram tried to lick it but only succeeded in thoroughly sheep-slobbering my hand.

Sheep and goats are my favourite part of the Fair. I haven't had a goat since high school, but kept a small herd of Romney, Romney-Suffolk and Romney-Corriedale sheep for many years, supplying myself with both wool and meat. If it wasn't that they require daily care, I would love to have sheep or goats again.

No comments:

Post a Comment