Friday, October 14, 2016

Heading Into Autumn



Day 1: 365 Caws began its run on October 14, 2010 with a one-year "mission statement" in response to a challenge from photographer friends who were engaging in various "365" projects of their own. Little did I expect that it would continue beyond that year! Today, 365 Caws enters its SEVENTH year of publication. If you're ever bored and need something to read, why not give the early years a look?

Heading into Autumn, the first storm of the season was predicted to hit last night, and while my wind chimes rang steadily for an hour or two, no truly strong gusts disturbed the night. However, almost two inches of rain fell in 24 hours, turning my driveway into muddy soup and pounding the last of the tomatoes into acceptance of their unavoidable fate. The deciduous trees are still hanging onto their slowly colouring leaves, most still green or red according to species, although the big-leaf maples in my neighbour's yard are starting to look tatty and worn. The pussywillow against the garage has shed the burden from its upper half into the recently-cleaned gutter, a complication induced by pure laziness on my part, not wanting to climb back up the ladder to remove the fallen foliage from the roof.

Still, I'm reluctant to take the 'yak rack off the car. I'd like to get in one more paddle on Lake St. Clair to check for more Sundew hibernacula, but that may resolve into a springtime project instead. The high country is certainly going to be closed to me by snow; as much as I love snowshoeing, I don't like driving on the stuff to get to the starting point. My lovely lichens will perk up now that they've had a good soaking, so my readers should expect more posts regarding the taxon I describe as "the wildflowers of winter."

A second, stronger storm is expected tomorrow night, possibly "historic" in nature if the forecasts are accurate. I'm hoping not!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your consistent devotion to 365 Caws. I look forward each day to looking at your latest post. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete