Thursday, October 20, 2016

Ma's Menu


Day 7: If there had been any question in my mind about what I should have for dinner tonight, Ma Nature took the issue out of my hands by placing five slightly slug-chewed but entirely worm-free Boletus edulis ("Boleti eduli?") between our parking place and the office. Rain notwithstanding, I stooped on them like a raptor on a bunny, leaving a few smaller ones behind as is my custom. As much as I love chanterelles, the King Boleta rules, and this particular spot has given me two nice meals this fall.

My late husband had a nose for finding this epicurean delight, whether in the lowlands, the high country, east or west side of the mountains. We often made meals of them while backpacking, although there is very little nutritive value in mushrooms of any sort. The stipes of the species are quite robust, yet are tender when cooked throughout. Backpackers may choose to fix them by simply frying in butter, but for a real treat, cut quarter-inch slices, dip in beaten egg and breadcrumbs and prepare as you would eggplant. They can also be used as the "meat" in a lasagna, layered with sauce, pasta and cheese.

As for the question of dinner, it only remains to decide how the King shall be served. That lasagna is sounding pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment