Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Penny Perspectives - Drosera Rotundifolia



Day 364: Several of my readers have requested a Penny Perspective featuring the Sundews of Lake St. Clair. I'm more than happy to oblige because they have been one of the best finds of my botanical career. It was only by chance that I spotted them. I had gone looking for a "paddle cache" (a geocache which can only be accessed by water) and decided to explore the lake a little further with no real purpose in mind. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a hint of red on a log some 50-60 feet away from my 'yak and, like a character in a cartoon, I did the classic double-take. "Waitaminit...are those SUNDEWS?" They were one of the top three plants on my Bucket List, and I'd never expected to find them in Washington. As you can see, Drosera rotundifolia colonies are not large. This image shows a very healthy and vigorous specimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment