Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Sound & Fury


Day 5: Last night was Morris dance again, my second session with the Seattle side, Sound & Fury. It was held in the Phinney Neighborhood Center, a beautiful old building which although modernized retains its early 1900s feel through preservation of the original dark wooden staircases, trim and fittings. The rooms have been brought up for various purposes, including this large hall where another dance group was in session ahead of us.

Sound & Fury's squire (leader of the group) introduced a new and fairly simple dance, possibly because they had a "new kid on the block" (yours truly) as well as rehearsing several which everyone knew except me. The squire invited me to participate in all but the most complex dance so I'd learn even if I made mistakes. The woman who danced opposite me was very helpful, advising me in advance as to what steps or moves I would be doing next. I was made to feel that I was a part of the group despite my lack of experience. That said, Seattle is a long way from home. Attending practices every week is out of the question, but even at once or twice a month, I think I'll learn a lot from these patient instructors.

No comments:

Post a Comment