Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Walking The Talk


Day 358: However inspiring Zeno's words are, they are impossible to live by in today's society. I try to make environmentally-sensitive decisions, but my home is not plastic-free. I discard and replace things I could probably repair. I even occasionally resort to using chemical controls on certain persistent weeds in my yard. I recycle extensively, but not all materials are accepted by our service. What do you do when you order a product and it arrives packed in styrofoam? I often choose the lesser of two evils when one or the other is necessary to satisfy creature comfort, e.g., weighing whether the shorter lifespan and greater power draw of incandescent lighting are a better choice than mercury-containing "curly" bulbs (given that mercury is now being detected in many birds, incandescent wins). In short, I do what I can to "walk my talk," but still feel I fall very short of the goal. Still, I'd like to think I make up for a portion of the deficiency in other ways, answering to my environmental conscience's insistence that I could do more during my tenure upon Mother Earth.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I experience the same dilemmas and they weigh on my heart. How best to live then? I guess we have to do as much as we can and for all else hope that the world will forgive us.

    ReplyDelete