Monday, December 5, 2016

Hardy



Day 53: I don't think hardy fuchsias are supposed to be blooming when the snow flies, but three of my five varieties (Genii, above, Dollar Princess and Army Nurse) apparently didn't get the memo and are doing their best to bring holiday colour to the garden. All three plants have been in their present locations for a couple of years, i.e., they're firmly established. Riccartonii is hanging onto its leaves, but has no blossoms currently, and Erecta (the most cold-sensitive member of the family) has gone to sleep for the winter.

Many people find these woody plants sprangly and unattractive when they outgrow their allotted space, but I think they more than adequately make up for their shortcomings by attracting hummingbirds to the yard. Because they flower on old wood as well as new, they can be pruned back if desired, although few people ever bother. Next year, I plan to add several more along the fenceline, either new plants or ones I've divided. Gotta keep those hummers happy!

1 comment:

  1. And I thought "sprangly" was a word you made up--not so!

    ReplyDelete