Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Longmire In Winter


Day 61: There was no heat in our office when Kevin and I got to work this morning. Other offices in the Administration Building were warm and toasty, but ours was uncomfortably cold and stayed that way until lunchtime. I decided it was better to freeze outside than inside, and went for a walk around the Trail of the Shadows. This view of Eagle Peak across Longmire Meadow is one of my favourites. Tiny Travertine Mound hotspring (snow-free area, lower right) burbles and bubbles even in the coldest temperatures.

The blue sky was a momentary novelty. Even as I wound my way around the three-quarter mile trail, pale grey snow-clouds were creeping up from the west. Still, slender rays of sun touched laden branches and caused them to release their burdens precipitously, and at least once, I found myself enveloped in the cold pins-and-needles of spindrift, driven on icy gusts generated in its fall. Thus baptised, I returned to the office with snow-matted pantlegs and a silvery "powdered-sugar" dusting over my remaining person, grateful that the radiator had repented of its uncooperative nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment