Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Joy Of Music


Day 94: I am happy to report that after a couple of weeks of practice, my fingers have remembered their years of training rather better than I had expected. My sight-reading ability is certainly not as good as it once was, but I suspect that will also return as I play new music more often.

For those of you who don't know my history, I was trained as a keyboardist although I never performed publicly on piano or harpsichord. I studied for many years under a variety of instructors and more often than not, played for hours each day. At the keyboard, the passage of time went unnoticed. I would lose myself in Bach, Haydn or Mozart, emerging from their baroque enchantments only to find that it was dinnertime or bedtime and my chores had gone undone. My husband kept the harpsichord tuned, and often cooked his own meals because he loved to hear me play. With perfect pitch, he could complete the task in an hour or less, and then made daily adjustments. It was an all-day job for me, so when we separated, the harpsichord was tuned far less often, and my daily regimen of practice quickly fell by the wayside. At Christmastime, I'd plunk out carols on the piano, but seldom spent more than 15 minutes at the keys. I finally sold the piano to make space in my living room and tuned the harpsichord, but I felt I couldn't dedicate the time to bring my performance level up to standard when I'd have to re-tune it at least once a week.

As you may recall from an earlier post, I recently bought an electronic keyboard. It took me a while to figure out "voices" and the "dual" function, but now it is a simple matter to switch from a custom setting I devised to resemble the sound of the harpsichord to a clarinet solo. I can shift from the baroque brightness Bach to soulful boogie-woogie jazz with the punch of a couple of buttons. The versatility of the instrument has inspired me to play every day...yes, even sometimes past bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment