Saturday, February 11, 2017

Heron In Repose



Day 121: The Nisqually Land Trust held a workshop for site stewards old and new at Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge this morning, which gave me the perfect excuse for a nature walk. After sitting for several hours, I was more than ready for a two-mile sprint to the end of the boardwalk, but I had forgotten about the seasonal closure of the last 700'. I find it hard to reconcile duck hunting with a refuge, but I am not the land manager. I'm sure there was wisdom in the decision, or at the very least, an agreeable trade-off. That said, the wildlife seems to know to stay close in, and several Great Blue Herons provided plenty of photo ops. Sleepy Sam untucked for the classic heron portrait, but I have tons of wide-awake heron images in my files, not nearly as cute (in my opinion) as Heron In Repose.

No comments:

Post a Comment