Monday, February 20, 2017

Reversible Cloche


Day 130: The friend who has generously donated almost all of the yarn for my current projects asked me to post a photo of the "reversible" adaptation to my original cloche pattern published February 4. I've made several single-layered caps, and while working on them, went through assorted spatial manipulations in my mind to figure out the best way to double the thickness of the hat, but not the ribbing. Since the rib matched one of the colours in the variegated yarn, I made the solid-colour cap first. Then keeping it rightside-out, I folded the ribbing toward me and picked up the first complete row of "bumps" where the pattern changed to stockinette stitch. Be very careful to pick up stitches only in that row! It is easy to angle off into the stockinette row above it. I found it easier to pick up the "bumps" without knitting them. Once they were all on my circular needle, I attached the variegated yarn and completed the cap following the pattern from that point. To finish the cloche and keep the halves from shifting and bunching, take a tack stitch through the top to join the layers securely. NB: it might be a good idea to add two rows of stockinette to the original pattern before the decreases to accommodate the increase in thickness. This version covers the tips of my ears, but won't keep the wind from whistling through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment