Friday, February 3, 2017

Smile Ammo Can In The Woods


Day 113: I don't geocache much these days, but when this one came to my attention via a friend, I wrote down the coordinates on my "Next" list, and there they sat for a month or more. All last week, I kept trying to find a convenient time to make the two-hour drive to the site, but was hampered by weather, obligations and simple inertia. Yesterday morning, I learned that the woman who had created it had just passed away. That was enough to spur me into action. I left immediately after a visual review of Google maps, something I should have perused more carefully.

The first inaccuracy appeared when one road came to a T and changed name. No longer on the "right" road, I still hoped to find the cross-street which was to be the next turn. After twenty minutes of winding up, over, and around a number of hills, I was ready to give it up as a lost cause when I suddenly came to a turn which seemed to point directly toward the cache. Up another hill I went, and came to a dead-end among driveways. At that point, I realized I should have reviewed the description of the cache since it was obviously in a residential area. I checked my phone and called another cacher in the area. He comfirmed that I was in the right place, and only then did I realize that the cache must have been at her home. It was an awkward situation. I had driven two hours to get there, but I also didn't want to disturb the family. I went down the long driveway and scouted the territory from below. Fortunately, the cache was well away from the house, so I came up from behind it and I doubt anyone even knew I was there.

Cachers in western Washington (and visitors from elsewhere) will remember bearsandme's hides as funny and innovative, and often quite surprising. We will remember our caching friend as a valuable and welcoming member of our community. Her creativity and kindness will be greatly missed.

2 comments:

  1. I feel dense and I'm prepared to be thought a fool but...did you Photoshop the ammo can? I see what looks like block supports...I'm not sure. Was it really life size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No photoshopping involved! It's a walk-in "can" built out of particle board and PVC pipe! We have some very creative people in the geocaching group. One of my favourites is a porta-potty. You *know* where the log book is going to be, but in order to lift the lid, you have to watch several videos, solve puzzles and enter codes in order to reach the next step in a multi-step process.

      Delete