Friday, February 24, 2017

So Far, So Good


Day 134: The first signs of a successful relocation are beginning to show on the gooseberries. I moved them last spring from a site where they had been most unhappy and unproductive, shaded out by a hawthorn tree I wish I'd never planted. Oh, the hawthorn provides fruit for the birds, but it is aggressive and over 15 feet tall. I'd take it out, but can't figure out how to cut it down without risking impalement by its thorns. The gooseberries are thorny as well, but in theory will pay for their right to scratch me by providing enough tart fruit for a jar of jam or two some day. If they're not happy in their new home, I'll move them to pots and grow them like the blueberries. Yep, I'm already thinking about digging more holes in my yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment