Saturday, March 11, 2017

Currantly Showing


Day 149: "Currantly" showing in my garden, the first inklings of green on the wild currants. Later, they will bear drupes of hot pink flowers which the hummingbirds adore. As my readers may remember, I have planted a large portion of my garden with pollinator/hummingbird attractors. Most of the plants have been purchased, but a few like this are so common in the area that I've just relocated a few from the wild. In this case, the currants were brutally uprooted, as in "I pulled them up by the roots and stuck them in my backpack for the rest of the day." A little extra coddling was required to ensure their survival once I got them home. I let them stand in a bucket of water and let them rehydrate before planting them the following morning. Both sites I had chosen for their permanent homes were rather dry last summer, so I watered them frequently...and here is my reward! Stay tuned! You won't want to miss the main attraction!

No comments:

Post a Comment