Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Booger Tree



Day 153: I'll readily admit that I am a poor mycologist. It's taken me the better part of two years to identify the life form which gives the Booger Tree its name. When I first discovered it in the spring of 2015, it was as fresh and plump as you see it here, but by the end of summer, it had withered to a flaky crust, thin as paper and fragile to the touch. When the autumn rains arrived, it rejuvenated and I watched it go through the same cycle again through 2016. In the interim, I took a sample and put it under the microscope. It wasn't the most successful operation, but it did allow me to see the asci, and today, I finally found information confirming what I had observed through the 'scope. That said, this is one time I will dispense with scientific nomenclature in favour of a common term: the Booger Tree will remain the Booger Tree for as long as it and I are standing. (If you're really curious, the scientific name is in the labels.)

No comments:

Post a Comment