Thursday, March 30, 2017

They Always Ask


Day 168: Recently, our Meadow Rover manager asked me if I'd be willing to do a training session for Meadow Rovers on the subject of birds. Well, that's a rather broad subject! We tossed it around a bit and after some further thought on my part, I decided to go with "Helping Visitors Identify Birds." Since I am technologically challenged and have no idea how to go about setting up a Power Point presentation, I have to go at this the old-fashioned way, posters and pointy-stick. This morning, I worked on the first of several 2' x 3' cards: "BURD!" It shows an imaginary species loosely based on a passerine with various field-identification points emphasized: eyebrow, "ear", throat marking, collar, wing bars, breast markings, tail bands, etc. I nicked the basic illustration from a field guide and enlarged it with a pantograph (I told ya this was doing it the old-fashioned way), inked it with a calligraphy pen and coloured it with crayons. Doesn't look like two hours' work, but it was! I still have several other posters planned. Fortunately, I have a month to get them done!

No comments:

Post a Comment