Saturday, March 4, 2017

Who's Your Doctor?


Day 142: Who's your Doctor? I am nearing the end of all Doctor Who DVDs (current and historic) with the exception of a handful featuring Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, only available through Amazon. I think I am qualified to say that "my" Doctors are David Tennant, Tom Baker (although it pains me to admit it), Peter Capaldi, Jon Pertwee and William Hartnell, in that order. Oh, and let's don't leave out the War Doctor, John Hurt, who passed away earlier this year. I was not particularly taken with Patrick Troughton's interpretation, nor am I impressed with Colin Baker so far. The remaining Doctors fall somewhere in between, spins which I like in some ways but not in others. Yes, David Tennant would be "my" Doctor, although it can't be denied that Tom Baker defined the role, but Baker's off-screen personality is off-putting, if what can be ascertained from commentaries and interviews is representative.

Of the companions, it is Donna Noble who rises to the top of the list. Her story's bittersweet ending was exceptional in its conception. Otherwise, I prefer the Doctor to remain aloof, and therefore Rose Tyler's involvement with him seemed like a toss-off to capture female viewers. Villains? Why, the Daleks, of course, and the Master, who has undergone almost as many regenerations as the Doctor himself. The introduction of Missy was brilliant, and is played to mad perfection by Michelle Gomez.

Unfortunately, most of the earliest episodes of Doctor Who would be accessible only if we could catch a ride in the TARDIS. They were made in the days before tape, and even those which were recorded later were thrown out by BBC, bag and baggage, rather than being archived. No one knew that Doctor Who would become a world-wide phenomenon, and arguably one of the best science-fiction series ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment