Friday, April 21, 2017

A-Peeling



Day 190: My project for the morning was a bit different from my customary handcrafts. When my good neighbour Clyde started pruning his fruit trees, I put in a request for as many straight lengths of plum-wood as he could supply, given a specific diameter and length. After curing for a year, they will be ready to be cut to the proper length and lightly sanded for use by my fellow Morris dancers. This morning, I barked...woof!...with a linoleum knife, a very handy tools for the job. Each stick took about fifteen minutes to work down to the good wood as I stripped away both bark and cambium from the green branches. The exposed wood was light at first, darkened after just a few minutes' exposure to air. I'm curious as to how the colour will age after a year of sitting in the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment