Saturday, April 15, 2017

MORA Litter Pickers


Day 184: There has never been a lot of doubt in my mind, but whatever may have lingered was dispelled today: people are pigs. This intrepid crew of ten litter-pickers collected thirteen bags of garbage, one tire, two dog carcases bagged and dropped on the roadside by the animals' former owners and one live shotgun shell, all from one two-mile stretch of highway which, incidentally, we cleaned up late last September. Litter-picking is NOT a boring job! Five of the team are consistent returnees, joining forces with five new volunteers in a partnership Mount Rainier National Park has maintained with the Washington State Dept. of Transportation for the last four years. I am proud to say that this project was "my baby" from the get-go. I suggested it to my supervisor who told me to run with it. I just wish the careless, heedless people who travel this road would put me on the unemployment line.

No comments:

Post a Comment