Monday, April 10, 2017

Spoon Season



Day 179: It's Spoon Season! I hadn't expected it quite this early, so it was a good thing that I stopped by Watson's Nursery while I was in town a few days ago. The "Spoon Flower" Osteospermums sell out rapidly! I bought two in bud, this medium purple (described as "pink" on the tag) and my favourite dark purple. I had planted three in the "spoon pot" last year and they developed into a mound two feet high by three wide, rather too crowded for the space I allowed. Two should allow for more breathing room.

This blossom is not fully open. When the petals are mature, they will be open only at the ends and thus the common name of "Spoon Flower" is very descriptive. They are an eye-catcher in any garden! I have yet to find them available as seed, but I could easily be tempted to fill my flowerbeds with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment